Hysteria 2 vs Hysteria 1
Hysteria 2 inherited almost all features of Hysteria 1.x while introducing a variety of new fixes and enhancements. It's important to note, however, that the protocol and codebase have undergone significant changes and as a result, Hysteria 2 is NOT compatible with Hysteria 1.x. Users must choose either 1.x or 2.x for both the client and server.
Some of the most notable include:
- New Protocol: The redesigned protocol can masquerade as HTTP/3 to increase censorship resistance.
- 0-RTT UDP Session Establishment: No delay for the first packet of a UDP session.
- New ACL and Outbound System: Use different outbounds for different requests.
- Traffic Stats API: For easier monitoring and management.
- Performance Improvements: Various enhancements under the hood to improve performance and stability.
There are some features present in Hysteria 1.x that have not yet been implemented in Hysteria 2:
- Client-Side ACL: ACL is only available on the server side for now.
- FakeTCP Protocol: FakeTCP has always been a somewhat niche feature and we are still evaluating whether to bring it back.
- TUN Mode: Not yet available, but likely to be reintroduced (and reworked) in the future.